Kansas City Tax Clinic
- Representation before the United States Tax Court
- Representation of the taxpayer during an audit
- Establishment of the taxpayer’s entitlement to the Earned Income Tax Credit, dependency exemptions, the Child Tax Credit, and the Additional Child Tax Credit
- Advice with respect to collection alternatives
- Preparation of innocent spouse and injured spouse requests
- Representation of the taxpayer in IRS Appeals conferences
- Preparation and filing requests for audit reconsideration
- Assistance with state tax matters, providing the taxpayer also has a federal tax controversy
The Kansas City Tax Clinic is a program in which students counsel clients in federal, state and local tax controversy matters under the supervision and direction of clinic directors. There is also a classroom component in the areas of tax controversy procedure and client counseling. Students will gain valuable experience with interviewing clients, documenting files, developing facts, researching resolutions in real-life scenarios, and interacting with government agencies.
There is no charge for the clinic services. There are some instances in which an outside agency charges a fee and, in those rare cases, those fees would be the client’s responsibility. To qualify, you should first contact the clinic for your phone consultation. Our primary qualification is based upon current year income. We can represent individual taxpayers with tax controversies. We cannot, however, represent corporations or partnerships. Each case is evaluated during the initial consultation.