Don’t be afraid of strategic planning! Even small nonprofits can – and should – engage in some form of strategic planning. This IN PERSON workshop will introduce you to the concept of strategic planning and the important role it can play in helping your organization develop priorities and goals to better accomplish your mission. We will cover:
· The goals and objectives for executing a strategic planning process,
· The basic elements of the process, including how to get started,
· Some different approaches to strategic planning,
· Timeframes and scheduling,
· How to incorporate your planning and its outcome into organizational operations, and
· Pitfalls to avoid
Faculty: Alex Shapiro. Alex has worked at non-profits for almost 30 years. He is currently Vice President of Philanthropy for the Kansas City Symphony, where he supervises a team of eight staff members who are responsible for raising $8.5 million annually. In 2017, he oversaw the successful completion of the Symphony’s $55 million endowment campaign. Previously, he served as Director of Institutional Advancement at the Institute of American Indian Arts, a 4-year arts college, in Santa Fe, N.M. Additionally, he was Director of Development for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago. Shapiro has a passion for classical music and played French horn in his youth.